Thursday, November 18, 2010

He Might Have a Point

If there is a word connected to the act of writing that is uglier than "blog," I don't know what it is. "Blog" smacks of something both shapeless and wooden. Possibly also swampy.

I tell my son I'm going to start one. A blog. "Ugh," he protests. He says blogs and tweets are examples of people insisting on saying things in spite of the fact they have nothing to say, or more likely, insisting because they have nothing to say. Either way, he finds the emptiness clamorous.

"And they're always updating them," he says. "That is the worst!"

It's true there is a lot of noise out there. It can be hard to hear yourself think. And yet, I don't know of a better way to figure out what I'm thinking than to sit still and try to write it out. So maybe a blog can be a quiet place too.

It's also a good place to hide from much harder writing work, like the chapter I'm supposed to be working on. Speaking of which.

No comments:

Post a Comment